Thursday, September 30, 2010

Titles. Damn Titles.

For those who don't know me very well, I work at a small law firm where clients are constantly calling asking various questions, of various importance. Most of these questions can usually be answered by the receptionist, but I guess there's a level of comfort in hearing your questions being answered by the "attorney," even if I say the exact same thing the receptionist would say. I get it. I'm not going to lie, it makes my day a little more hectic, and sometimes I get frustrated, but I understand where they're coming from.

Here's what I don't understand, though. What makes the receptionist less of a person worthy of respect than the attorney? It's happened multiple times where the receptionist is transferring a call and she says: "sorry Alex, this guy is being a real jerk and is demanding to speak with you." Great. Deep breath. Mental preparation for the battle to come. "This is Alexandra, how can I help you?" "Oh hello Ms. Alexandra..." and continues in the sweetest, nicest tone ever. Not angry. Not upset. They just had a simple question. That the receptionist was trying to answer for them. It actually bothers me more that they're not angry: if they can be angry at the receptionist, why aren't they also angry at me? I know I have a title, but I'm not different than Amber or Nayeli, a person is a person is a person, and we each deserve the same level of respect and civility, regardless of what title we hold in life. It really irks me when people make distinctions on how they treat people, especially when they're based on a piece of paper.

I guess all I can do, personally, is make sure my kids learn better someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment