Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Our Rollercoaster Life

Can't say I didn't see it coming. The office manager was in a prolonged meeting with the boss man yesterday afternoon, and over the last couple of weeks I knew what that meant: more people being let go. Un/fortunately for Jeff and I, I was one of the people that got oh-so-gently let go yesterday.

Before continuing, let me make one thing clear: I was laid off, not fired. There's a subtle distinction there that I think is important to make :) The firm has come across some rough times and the boss man says he has to do what he has to do to keep the doors open. Be that as it may, it leaves me without a weekly check.

However, Jeff finally started working full time last Monday. Yep, last Monday. Which means we were both employed full time for a full week. Crazy timing, huh? I can confidently say that God has been testing us quite a bit lately, but He has never completely abandoned us. It seems that as soon as we get something right, like both of us finally working and looking forward to getting on our feet, something equally bad happens. And yet, it's not terrible. It would've been terrible if I had lost my job and Jeff wasn't working. THAT would've been shitty. At least He gives us a window so we can breath until we find the next unlocked door.

And yet, it's still a blessing in disguise. Most of our friends know I wasn't exactly thrilled with this job. I loved most of the people I worked with, but I wasn't practicing in an area that made me happy. I knew it was temporary. I just wanted to leave when I was ready, not when someone else forced me to go. And yet, who's to say I would ever take the time to look for the next step in my career if I wasn't forced to? I now have the extra time to do oh-so-many things that I've been looking forward to. In no particular order:
  1. Find a job that makes me happy. Ideally in the public interest/non-profit sector. Maybe immigration, hopefully international development-related.
  2. Start going to the gym again. I was doing so good leading up to the Giacobbe's wedding, and then I let life get in the way again.
  3. Working on my side projects: raising money for a sanitation project in Haiti, as well as Abby's and my trip to Haiti.
  4. Work on the first pro-bono case I've picked up for KIND (I'll be featuring them for this month's Charity of the Month, so stay tuned).
  5. Work on our apartment, getting it clean and pretty.
  6. Build up my resume by volunteering with various projects and organizations.
  7. Catch up with friends and family that I haven't been able to spend quality time with.
So yeah, it sucks to be unemployed again, especially when Jeff and I had gotten so excited about finally being financially stable enough to afford getting something for our friends and family (and ourselves) for Christmas. But all the cliches apply here: things happen for a reason, it's for the best, there's something better around the corner. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment