Friday, October 7, 2011

Growth Spurts

I had a 2-3 month hiatus from my tutoring family, from May to July-ish. Between my oddly hectic schedule, and them flying off the Spain and Ireland for the Summer, it was easier to just cancel things for a while.

As soon as they started school though, I got the text asking if I wanted to keep tutoring this year. HELLS TO THE YEAH. That was my response.

So a few weeks ago I drove to their house for the first time in what felt like ages. I was not ready for what was about to go down.

When the door opened, their youngest was there, and said (very clearly) "hello." "Oh, are you talking now?" "Yes." WTF?! How did this little boy go from being a tiny little baby, who was kinda stumbling around, to walking very steadily and blurting out full coherent lines, and understanding everything I said?

Then the second to youngest peeps his head from around the corner (he's always hiding from me...I haven't figured out why yet). It seems like he had a make over this Summer, and is sporting a completely new look. A look that makes him look like a little boy instead of a toddler.

I seriously felt like it had been at least a year since I'd seen them, based on their current appearance. I know...kids grow fast...but still...this felt insane.

The best part was when we sat at the dinner table. Remember how the second to youngest (I'm gonna have to come up with nicknames for them pretty soon..) used to say the prayer before dinner? It would kinda be semi-coherent, and the parents would help out. Well, he can say it perfectly clear now. And the youngest has taken his place: he now asks to say the blessing each time, and fumbles his way to the end. I felt a strange sense of deja-vu :)

I love seeing each of these children through their various phases of growing up. I really hope I can continue to be a part of this amazing family years after they no longer need a tutor.

Related posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment