Sunday, August 15, 2010

Copies and Inspirations

I was at Fed Ex Office earlier this week (I kinda miss that it's not Kinko's anymore, kind of like Costco always really being Price Club) printing out some donation letters I was working on, and I noticed an older gentleman trying to make some copies at the copier next to mine. He seemed thoroughly aggravated with the lack of success he was having at making his copies. I would be too, if my copies were coming out as blank pages. Part of me wanted to help him figure out what was going on, another part of me was saying: the Fed Ex guy can see just as clearly what's going on, and this guy was trying to get the copier to work before I got there...so Lord only knows what's been going or for how long. I think my reluctance, sadly, also had to do with the fact that I was getting charged by the minute to print out my stuff...and those minutes rack up pretty quickly when you have to wait for each document to open. Needless to say, I decided not to play good samaritan, shame on me.

I felt even more shameful after what happened next. As I was gathering my flash drive, papers, folders, bag, etcetera, the man walked past me...apparently he had been walking past me a few times to a set up he had at a table on the other side of me, which I had barely noticed. As I was starting to walk away, his demeanor changed completely, from completely frustrated to way happy! Then he said to me something to the effect of: "you've got a lot of money around you!" or something like that. I laughed and said "I wish." Then he mentioned how every time he walked by me, he got a very good feeling about me. Now, I know what you're thinking: CREEPER. But actually, there was something so genuine about this guy, like he was honestly just happy for ME and for the happiness he sensed for me. He said he had a good feeling, and that good things were coming my way, I just had to keep doing what I was doing, "believe me, I'm always right about these things."

I'm not sure what he meant by "keep doing what your doing," unless he means to just keep trying to figure out what I'm doing with my career. In that case, I will keep trying to figure it out, instead of throwing my hands up in defeat and frustration, as I've felt like doing multiple times in the past few months.

Whether he is an escaped lunatic, a fortune teller, or a divinely inspired being, alls I know is that I walked out of "Kinko's" with a huge smile that was not on my face before, and a sense that indeed, good things could be coming my way. So thank you for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment