Monday, February 13, 2012

The Other Day...

I went to Grower's Direct the other day to pick up some delicious raspberries and blueberries (yes, I specifically went to the store to get just that). As I was checking out, I happened to look up and saw one of the employees who was stocking grapes....he seemed to be chewing something, very very slowly.

Huh.

His mind seemed to be anywhere but in the job that was unfolding before him: he was standing and slowly, ever so slowly, zipping up a bag of grapes that he was about to stock, with his gaze looking off to God knows where. He placed the bag with all the other bags of grapes already on display.

Then, again, very slowly, as if he was trying to drag out this task as long as he possibly could, he grabbed another bag of grapes from the box on his cart, he opened it, took one grape, put it in his mouth, and repeated the above scene, sloooooooowly zipping up the bag again, and placing it on the display area.

I realized he was taking out exactly one grape from every bag, right before he placed it on the display area. He had a smile on his face, and I couldn't help but be happy for him: I doubt this job is his ideal job, or one that he thoroughly enjoys, but if sneaking in a grape every now and then can make you happy, more power to you!

The more grapes he sneaks in, the less I'll have to pay for that bag of grapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment