Thursday, March 22, 2012

Getting Crafty


Not sure if I mentioned this before or not, but Jeff got me a beautiful iPad for Christmas, and instead of buying a cover for it I thought I would make one myself. I bought a plastic cover for it, but I wanted to make something like a little bag to carry it around. So right after Christmas I looked around on Etsy and looked at samples, then wentto Joanne's and Michael's and bought all the stuff I needed. I even went so far as cutting the fabric and filling...and then realized that I needed to use a sewingmachine to put it all together.


I'm ashamed to say that I've never used a sewing machine in my life. Most of this shame is because my grandmother is an amazing seamstress. I mean, amazing. She's made beautiful wedding gowns, quinceanera dresses, she made my First Holy Communion dress (which I still have), as well as my prom dress. So, for her granddaughter to not know how to use one when she's almost thirty...well, let's just say I'm not very proud of it.

So, for the last three months, all my prep work has been sitting in a corner of our room. I also came to realize that I don't really need it. But I already had all the materials, and I LOVE the color scheme and materials that I picked, so last week I decided it was time to finish the project.

I enlisted the help of my mom, and thank goodness for that. It turns out that when I sloppily cut all my materials, I didn't leave enough room for all the seams, so she had to add some fabric here and there to make it work. She ended up putting it together by herself, but now I know more or less how to work a sewing machine, and hope that the next time I need to use it myself, I'll be able to...


Finished product to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment