Monday, February 22, 2010

Random Bits of Information About Me

So again I'm copying an idea from Expat Mom. She did 57 random bits, which I'm not sure I can achieve, but I'll try. Here we go.

1. I pretty much always read the last page of every book I'm reading, just to make sure it has a happy ending.
2. I watch movies and read books for a happy ending; non-happy endings annoy me.
3. I worry constantly that I'll let my family down.
4. Sometimes I feel like I'm still in the preparation stages for life, that it hasn't really started yet. But I just turned 27, so....maybe I should get started on that.
5. I'm afraid I won't accomplish anything great.
6. I don't watch scary movies because I get really anxious and scared, and why would I want to put myself through that?!
7. Most of the foods I dislike are because of texture: shrimp is chewy, mushrooms are slimy. Ick.
8. I've never dyed my hair.
9. The craziest thing I've done to my hair is to get it layered.
10. Other than mascara, I don't really know how to use/apply makeup.
11. I was in choir in high school.
12. I once thought I wanted to teach chemistry to high school kids. Insanity!
13. It's hard for me to find a balance between my white half and my hispanic half sometimes.
14. I sometimes get the feeling people don't like halfies like me.
15. I miss traveling.
16. I've printed out a couple lists of the 100 or so books you should read before you die. I'd like to read all the books one one of those lists someday but haven't made much progress.
17. I check my email and facebook too many times a day to count.
18. I like and enjoy going to church when I don't feel like I HAVE to go.
19. I think I'm very patient, but maybe I'm not in reality.
20. I stress out every time I'm cooking: I always think it's going to taste terrible.
21. I've started baking cakes for everyone's birthday. I like it.
22. I fall asleep more easily with a pillow on my feet--I owe that nice quirk to my mother.
23. My grandmother is my hero. It scares me to think of life without her.
24. I wish I was more assertive.
25. In high school and college, I was an avid taker of pictures and maker of scrapbooks. I always wonder if I'll ever go through my scrapbooks with my kids someday.
26. It's weird for me to be in a position now where I can ask people to do things for me. I'm used to being the one being asked to do things.
27. I think I'm the luckiest girl in the world to have someone love me as much as Jeff does. Sometimes I feel I don't show him enough how much I love him.
28. I'm starting to run out of things to type.
29. I almost went to college in Guatemala, but they don't have financial aid over there and I couldn't afford to pay for a private college in Guatemala.
30. I always wonder what my life would have been like in Guate if I had never moved back.
31. I miss going to buy tortillas for lunch everyday.
32. I've always wanted to live somewhere else, but I don't think I ever will because I'm too scared to do it. I actually pictured myself living in a little house in the country like Belle from Beauty in the Beast (the opening scenes).
33. I love Mulan but haven't watched it in years because I'm afraid people will make fun of me.
34. I repeated kindergarten, but caught up when I moved back from Guatemala.
35. I had an imaginary game in kindergarten every time I was on the swings (it was always the same game).
36. Growing up, I never felt like I fit in with my family. I used to hide in the bedroom during Christmas until it was time to open presents at midnight.
37. I call my grandma "mom."
38. 57? Really?!
39. I didn't have my first email account until my senior year in high school, and only because Mr. Garber told me I had to have one.
40. I always feel like I've cheated my way through things, mostly because I lack confidence in the things I do.
41. I get excited about having new office supplies. Ordering supplies was one of my favorite jobs as a legal assistant and sometimes wish I could still do it as an attorney.
42. I'm excited about increasing our collection of Christmas decorations (and Halloween...and Thanksgiving...).
43. I was kidnapped on the morning of my high school graduation by friends I don't keep in touch with anymore. We went to Denny's for breakfast :)
44. I wonder if I'll ever meet my dad and his kids, although deep down I'm pretty sure I never will.
45. I helped organize my college graduation ceremony (the Chicano/Latino version).
46. I went to law school knowing I didn't want to be an attorney.
47. I hate debating people. I shy away from controversial topics because I don't think I can convey my opinion clearly (probably why I never wanted to be an attorney).
48. I had a little pink stereo when I was little. I brought it into the bathroom when I showered and listened to K-Earth 101.
49. I can clearly remember the only time my mom spanked me.
50. I don't understand people who are rude. It's so easy to be nice and so much more rewarding.
51. I've always wanted to have an amazing body, but always too lazy to get it.
52. Oh my goodness I'm almost there (and I've only cheated on 3!).
53. I'm embarrassed about some of my music collection.
54. Sometimes I feel like I'm not emotional enough about things and it freaks me out.
55. I was freaked out about the world ending in the year 2000 when I was eight.
56. My worst grades in junior high and college were both math related.
57. I was president of my classes in Guatemala and tried to do the same in high school...a class of 40 girls who like you is way easier to win over than a class of 200 who don't even know you.

I wrote 57, and you read to the end. Congrats to us both.

4 comments:

  1. I read the last one first, not to check for a happy ending, but because I always scroll to the end of a blog page before reading... not sure what I am looking for :D I am with you on #4... I am in my 40's, have accomplished a lot, I am happy with my life, and yet I still look to the future and wonder if I am ready to get started yet. Not sure what this means, but I suppose it is good to be in a 'looking ahead' frame of mind, even if it is confusing sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) You should move to Nebraska... because it's cheap here and you can live like Belle.

    2) You talk to Mulan everyday, why not just watch me in action? hahaha. and if people make fun of you, i can beat them up.

    3) I can't wait to skype with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to know you. You sound like a wonderful woman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its so interesting when people are vulnerable and let others in! For someone on outside world, someone who knows a little but not a lot about you you have always been: A confident girl who could achieve whatever she wanted to. You went to a good school, no doubt got good grades, worked your ass off, and managed to be a really nice person as well. you've graduated law school! you have a husband & family that loves you, I think you've accomplished great things,: ) It surprises me that you have the insecurities you do, because people care what you have to say, and respect you!

    ReplyDelete