Monday, June 27, 2011

While I'm at it...Career Updates

First off, I'm thankful to have a job. But I also don't want to be complacent in a position I'm neither happy with, nor do I believe it will benefit me hugely in the long run. So, I'm in a pickle. I'm pretty much working as a secretary/firm administrator/appearance attorney at the firm I'm working at. The Boss Man ("TBM") keeps saying that in August he's going to start advertising for family law, and he wants me to develop that practice for the firm. Which sounds great in theory. I think I would enjoy family law. I'd get to put my mediation and negotiation competition skills to the test, and I'd have more client interaction. My main concern doing family law at this firm is that it caters to people who can pay...and that's not quite the clientele I want to serve. Haha, I sound ridiculous. But seriously, if I'm going to practice law, I want to do it for the benefit of those who need it and can't afford it. But I also need to pay my bills...

Anyhow, before I get carried away with hypotheticals and theorizing about what my dreams are (which I think I'm starting to figure out, finally)...I don't think this whole family law thing is going to become a reality in the near future. Thing is, TBM hired me because he needed a receptionist, and I knew this when I started. I took the job because I needed the money, with all parties knowing this was temporary for both sides. But now I'm waiting around for something more serious to develop, and I just don't think it will. TBM will always need a receptionist/legal administrator, and as long as I'm there, why would he hire someone else to do it? On the other hand, how am I supposed to "develop" a legal practice while answering phones, dealing with correspondence, and a billion other things that come up on any given day? I just don't see it happening.

And if that's the case, I don't want to waste my time or his. I need to figure out what's best for Jeff and I, and helping TBM out while he figures stuff out isn't quite it. I've done a few contract jobs, and could try to pick up some more jobs like that. Maybe work on my own thing. Of course, with that comes financial risk, which Jeff and I aren't necessarily prepared to deal with either.

Life is a cluster fuck sometimes (sorry mom[s]).

1 comment:

  1. That's right! It's better to work hard even for a very long time to get to where you're actually good at, instead of being complacent for something you're not satisfied with. And on the issue of having a receptionist, I think it's better for law firms like yours to use answering services instead. Paralegals like you deserve a better job than just being tasked around as a receptionist. In companies like law firms, live virtual receptionists are more efficient for them in the long run, and paralegals like you can be employed to do the jobs that you were meant to do.

    Novus Call Centers

    ReplyDelete