Friday, November 6, 2009

Experience Wanted. No kidding.

I took the CA bar exam at the end of July, 2009. From then to September 12, it was easy to keep busy with wedding planning and my poor excuse of job searches. After the wedding and the honeymoon though, its been tough to come up with good excuses as to why I'm still unemployed. I keep telling myself that its normal and I'm not the only law school graduate that is unemployed right now, even though I've sent out enough resumes and cover letters that should have landed at least a decent interview. For someone who's worked since she was 15, worked her way through college and law school, being unemployed for over 3 months now is really unacceptable.

I'm trying to keep myself busy by volunteering at three different places and working on my wifey cooking skills, but it still makes some days harder than others. Jeff has had to put with all my bad days (love you boo!) in which I seem to be grouchy for absolutely no reason. The only reason I have for my self-labeled "bad days" is that I'm disappointed in myself, even though I try to tell myself time and again that there's only so much that's my fault, and the rest I can blame on the limbo of awaiting bar results and the aftermath of other people's bad decisions that landed us in this crappy economy. Oh and coming across job posting after job posting that require 3-5 years of experience or in not-so-kind words: "recent law graduates need not apply." Thanks for the glimmer of hope. This also brings me to the Catch-22 of jobs that I've never understood: everyone wants someone with experience, but where do those people get their experience from if no one is willing to hire them to give them experience? Huh.

No comments:

Post a Comment