Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Obsessive Compulsive Reading Disorder

I'm a huge fan of books and reading, something I owe to my mom. Although I've enjoyed books of all types, I'm coming to realize I'm more of a "series" reader. When I was young, I read all the Little House books (which I still have!) and most Anne of Green Gables books. In my older years, I became obsessed with Stephen King's Dark Tower series, and I'll openly admit that I've read the Twilight series multiple times. My latest conquest: Harry Potter.

As much as I love getting into a series, here are my problems:

1) It sucks when it's over. I'm sure most people have experienced that feeling when you finish a book, kind of an emptiness, or longing for it NOT to be over...or maybe it's just me. Either way, this feeling is intensified when you've invested 4, 6, 8 books in the reading. You've spent that much more time getting to know the characters and their dilemmas, and it's that much harder to let them go and face your own reality.

And,

2) I'm obsessive about finishing. This happens to me with any good book, not just a series, but a series makes it that much worse because I'm just rushing and obsessed with moving on to the next book. (Here's my Catch-22: I can't wait to finish, but then I finish and I'm left with problem #1. Ah the inhumanity of it all!) I really just can't be productive with anything else going on in my life until I'm done. Jeff knows what I mean. The poor guy has to deal with a zombie in the car while he drives, while the zombie is off in God knows what fictional universe.

I really wish I could just take my time and enjoy each book, prolonging the unavoidable end. This would also allow me to be semi-productive at carrying on my normal, daily life activities, rather than constantly thinking: "I could be reading my book right now!" But since it's something I've just accepted....any reading suggestions out there?

6 comments:

  1. I like historical fiction ... anything by Jean Plaidy. I would recommend starting with the "The Lady in the Tower" or even "Queen of this Realm" they are pretty popular and you get to learn a little european history along the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love series too! A fun little series that I enjoyed is The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz. It follows the life of a private detective and her crazy family. Definitely a funny and easy read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I know what you mean when you say that you feel an emptiness in u when you finish a book and the way you can't help it to finish it to start on the next one.I absolut love my books and this might sound weird but when I read my books I am gone. I feel as if I am the character as if I am kinda of in a different world.I suppose my mam started me off reading so much.I like series aswell I like all different types of books I am A girl but I still love dectective books like hardy boys and the three investigators. I also love the twilight saga I read them all three times :L.There are a few good books I recomend but ther mostly tennage books. House of night series, clockwork angel and many many mor most of the books I read have carries on its imposible. Hope you read this your not the only one who can't get books out of your head:L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment! I'll definitely have to check our your recommendations :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is me all over! I'm actually reading the Twilight Series right now...& I love Harry Potter, lol! Have you read The Wicked Years, or the Vampire Chronicles? A Series of Unfortunate Events is worth picking up as well! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh so many options! I'm currently obsessed with books on international aid and development, but I'm hoping that this year I can tear myself away from those and read something a little more enjoyable :) thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete