Thursday, April 15, 2010

Positive Outlook

So last week was a little rough at work. The work load is getting pretty crazy, and I found myself constantly frustrated by a variety of things. Poor Jeff has to hear me vent when I get home, and last night he gave me some pretty good words of advice. Basically, I'm always going to have a ton of stuff to do, there will always be too many files on my desk, and I can't control what other people do, I just have to learn to deal with it, and not let it stress me out or frustrate me.

I can't tell you guys how many times someone at work told me I looked stressed or upset in the past week and a half. And I knew they were right. I could feel my face being all contorted from how tense and frustrated I was at things. And in reality, Jeff is right. There's no need to freak out about things that are beyond my control, and I just have to learn to take work one chunk at a time.

Rama also made a good point today: we work with some pretty cool people. There are attorneys out there working twice as many hours as myself, and having to deal with people who have no sense of humor. Our office environment is pretty relaxed, everyone gets along, and we have some good laughs. And that really does make all the difference in your work day.

Here's something I've come to appreciate about L&A (aka, Los Borradores):

It's pretty much a terrible picture of everyone (sorry!), but the point I wanted to make is this: we share lunch with each other! I don't think I've worked at many places where everyone I work with is so open to sharing their food and their lunch time with each other. In the words of Napoleon Dynamite: "Yeah, it looks pretty sweet." How sweet indeed!

So, Rama and I have decided to have a more "positive outlook" on things lately. Although we had to remind each other every now and then today ("positive outlook, alex, positive outlook"), it worked pretty well. I was much happier, and still accomplished quite a bit of work. I think I'll try it out again tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment