Friday, January 14, 2011

Personalized License Plates

I think you can go one of two ways when you see personalized license plates: 1) think the person is silly for spending money on a personalized license plate (to put it lightly) and ignore the content of said license plate, or 2) try to figure out what the heck they're trying to show off about. Personally, I go the latter route. My mom and I used to decipher license plates all the time when I was little, and it's a tradition I started with Jeff. I usually admire the persons creativity for fitting a phrase or quote or personification of the individual within seven characters.

Sometimes, sometimes, I'm stumped. At this point I blame the driver for spending money on trying to say something that people can't decipher, but before I throw my hands up in the air and give up (don't worry, I'm really good at steering with my knee), there's one more clue I look for: the license plate frame. And most of the time, most of the time, I'm not disappointed. It seems people who personalize license plates have so much passion for whatever they're trying to tell us they like, that the license plate frame ALSO conveys this passion. For example, one license plate went along the lines of Halo Fan (not that straightforward...but I forget what it said exactly). I commented to Jeff how amazing I was for figuring it out, then said, "they must be big Angels fans." At this point I was proud of knowing enough pop culture and sports trivia to know that Halo Fan's are from the Angel's baseball team. Then Jeff mentioned that maybe they were fans of the game. Drats! How will I ever know now what they really meant? *Ding* License plate frame read: LA Angels of Anaheim.

All I can say is...thank you dear Drivers for your dedication.

No comments:

Post a Comment