Saturday, January 23, 2010

Deja Vu

So about two and a half weeks ago, my boss had me go to the Santa Ana Federal Courthouse and the Riverside Bankruptcy court so I could scope out the area and know where I was going and what I needed to do when I finally went on my own. Although the Santa Ana court is closer, it was a little more difficult because the bankruptcy court is only one of the many things in the federal building (in Riverside, the whole building is dedicated to bankruptcy law).

I get to the Federal Courthouse in Santa Ana, and I'm trying to walk and act like I know what I'm doing...you know, look like an attorney! (The idea that I'm actually an attorney is still shocking to me.) Anyhow, I think I walked around looking like an idiot for a good 10 minutes before I finally realized where I should be. And all was well.

My next field trip was to the Riverside Courthouse. Other than being late and basically missing all the confirmation hearings, I found my way rather quickly.

As I was walking down the steps of the courthouse to the parking lot, I had this strange feeling that I had lived through something like this before.

Ahhhhhhh, college!

My memories flew back to the first week in my Santa Rosa dorm at UCSB, with all the madness and excitement of orientation, cramming all my belongings into a tiny room, and meeting the people that would become some of my best friends. The Sunday before classes started, several of us scouted out the location of our classes. That's right...a bunch of 18 year olds, excited about starting the college life, looking at their schedules and looking helplessly for Kennedy Hall or Buchanon or whatever it may be. See, we didn't want to look like we did in high school our freshman year on the first day of class...so we took preventative steps and did it on a Sunday when no one could see us walking around with a print out of our schedule and puzzled looks on our faces!

And now I'm doing it all over again. I'm entering this new career where I pretty much don't know what I'm doing, but I'm trying to be proactive so I don't look like a lost freshman!

No comments:

Post a Comment