Monday, January 18, 2010

People, it's called punctuality.

Warning: this is a venting slash rambling blog.

Last week I began to tutor two amazing children, who are taking Spanish in school and their parents want them to get a little extra help on the side. The money's good, and the family is amazing. These two little kids honestly make me smile every time I see them. The only thing is that with my original 9am to 6pm schedule, tutoring put me back a few hours and I didn't get home until about 8:30 or 9 at night. That's a long day! So I thought I would go in at 8am on the days I'm tutoring (Monday and Thursday), therefore getting me home an hour earlier :)

Anyhow, today as the holiday of Martin Luther King, Jr., my students had the day off from school and tutoring as well (if only I had the day off from work too....), but I still went in to work at 8am instead of 9am. I can't even describe to you how excited I was at the prospect of getting home by 5:30 pm instead of an hour after that (my usual time), or even later if I had actually been tutoring. I even texted Jeff and we made huuuuuuge plans to cook dinner together.

Stoked. I was STOKED!

Some of you might say, "it's only an hour difference, what's the big deal?" The big deal is, kind reader, that there is a huge difference between getting home at 5:30pm and getting home at 6:30pm. By 6:30, I'm hungry, I'm tired, and I don't feel like STARTING to figure out what to do for dinner. At 5:30, however, the evening still has endless possibilities!

So let me just tell you how disappointed I was in myself when I remembered that I had told a co-worker that I would talk to her client today at 5:30pm. See, I've only been on my new schedule for a week, so I thought I was still staying until 6pm when I originally gave my co-worker the thumbs up on this. I wanted to shoot myself today for being so stupid. But I gave my word, it was my fault, and so I stayed at work an extra hour (without getting paid overtime, by the way). And you know what? I stayed for absolutely nothing. 5:3o came and went, and the client wasn't there. Apparently he had left his house at 5:20 in Costa Mesa, thinking that with traffic and rain he could be there in 5 minutes. I told my co-worker the information she needed to tell the client, and I threw in the towel at 6. It just irks me when people can't stick to appointments. Jeff can tell you how I'm continually rushing him out of the house every time we have to be somewhere because I hate being late (even if it means feeling awkward once we get to our destination because we're the first ones there...).

I hope this client sleeps well tonight, and never knows how they ruined my early-dinner-at-home tonight!

"Hey alex, why don't you just go in to work at 8am everyday and stop complaining?" To which I have a very well-reasoned and logical answer: see, I keep telling myself that on the days I go in at 9, I have time in the morning to go to the gym! HA.

No comments:

Post a Comment