Tuesday, December 1, 2009

This too shall pass

I sure hope so.

I'm not usually one to sulk and brood over the negatives in my life: I like keeping things happy, cheering people up, and minimizing the trials and tribulations of my life. But it's hard to remain positive when this general mood affects not only yourself, but so many people around you. I have several close friends in mind who are going through the same things that I am, feeling emotionally drained and not really seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm sure this is caused by a variety of things in each individual's personal life, but the common factor is the lack of money and jobs right now. Most of us have at least a college education, we're smart, good people, and it's not making a difference. This situation really starts affecting your self esteem when you've graduate from college, received a master's degree, and you can't even get a job as a secretary, assistant, or a position at your local retail stores. I'm at a point in my life where I thought things were going to finally start falling into place, not falling apart. Jeff and I were commenting on how last year we were broke and couldn't buy the gifts we would have liked for our friends and family, but comforted each other with the thought that this time next year, we'd be better off. I didn't occur to us that we'd actually be worse off than we were last year.

It's easy for people to try and comfort you by saying things will get better soon, but it's tough to take that in stride once you've been hearing it for so long and things haven't gotten better. Don't misunderstand, I appreciate the sympathy and encouragement from friends and family, and I really DO believe that things will get better, it's just getting harder to remain hopeful that it's going to happen soon.

A common conversation I've been having with friends is the centuries old question of why bad things happen to good people. Personally, I don't think I'm a bad person: I'm sure I've offended people at some point in my life, but I doubt it was anything major; I've worked hard thus far in my life to get the education I have, I love and value my family and friends, and I try to appreciate all the things I do have in my life. I'd like to think I have pretty good karma. So why are things so difficult right now?

I'm reminded of a writing class I took in college where we discussed the Book of Job from the Bible. Job was a guy who did everything right, and was being tested by God time and time again, and he was asking God why this was happening to him. I just hope things turn out as good for my friends and I as they did for Job: he made tons of money, had beautiful children, and lived way longer than any of us really care to live.

Cheers to staying hopeful!

2 comments:

  1. Well said friend. As hard as it is, we can only focus on the idea that things will get better. It's just so damn annoying it's taking so long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to write you a quick note to let you know that I LOVE your blog, and that it is so relieving to know that I am not the only overqualified, unemployed person who can get down on herself sometimes!

    ReplyDelete